Melissa V. La Venia
Melissa V. La Venia is an Associate at Altro Levy. Her practice focuses on cross border tax and estate planning, and U.S. immigration.
Melissa graduated from Boston University School of Law and is a member of the New York State Bar. She has an Honors B.A. in Economics from the University of Delaware, where she graduated magna cum laude. She worked as an associate at Kaye Scholer LLP in New York, NY and as the director of legal affairs at Groupe Lagassé in Sherbrooke, QC prior to joining Altro Levy.
Melissa’s work focuses on cross border tax and estate planning for individuals and closely held companies. She also represents individuals immigrating to the US, and in doing so is able to offer a holistic approach that considers an individual’s immigration, tax and estate planning needs.
Melissa brings an international perspective to her work thanks to her time spent living in London, England, Havana, Cuba, and Quebec. As an American currently residing in Canada, Melissa identifies closely with the unique cross-border needs of our clients.
Melissa is bilingual, and able to offer services to clients in both English and French.
Ms. La Venia is admitted to practice law in New York, and is a licensed Foreign Legal Consultant in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia.
- Boston University School of Law, 2009, J.D.
- University of Delaware, 2006, Honors B.A. in Economics
Cross Border Blogs by Melissa
- Is a U.S. Revocable Trust Okay for Canadians?,
- US Government Shutdown – What it Means for Canadians,
- IRS To Recognize All Legal Same-Sex marriages for US Federal Tax Purposes,
- State Inheritance & Estate Taxes and New York’s Estate Tax Refund To Same-Sex Couples,
- DOMA’s Demise – What it Means for Canadian Residents with US Ties,
- Update: US Senate Votes to Approve Gang of Eight’s US Immigration Reform Bill,
- Breaking: Senate Judiciary Committee Votes to Support Gang of Eight’s Immigration Reform Bill,
- Update on Gang of Eight’s New US Immigration Reform Bill,
- Canadians, the American Dream, and the EB-5 Investor Visa,
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 514-940-8074
Honors and Affiliation
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association
- New York – 2010
- Quebec (Foreign Legal Consultant) – 2013
- The Law Society of Upper Canada (Foreign Legal Consultant) – 2013
- British Columbia (Foreign Legal Consultant) – 2013
- Alberta (Foreign Legal Consultant) – 2013